Raspberry Pi 400... Is it a breakthrough?
Image 1: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology
Raspberry Pi designed into a keyboard.. Yes, it's what it is said on the official webpage of this new product. Being currently released, this Raspberry Pi 400 will make some fans really happy!
A quad-core 64-bit processor + 4GB of RAM + wireless networking + dual-display output, and 4K video playback, and let's not forget the classic 40-pin GPIO header for external I/O controls. Yes, all of these are included inside the keyboard.
Image 2: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-400-review-faster-cpu-new-layout-better-thermals
You may first think of it as a regular Raspberry Pi board that is put inside a keyboard and some other peripheral boards are added right next to it? Well, no. It has a purpose-built board based on Raspberry Pi 4. Featuring the same powerful 64-bit processor, Raspberry Pi 400 has specially designed thermals to keep your computer cool and silent while you’re hard at work. While Raspberry Pi single-board computers don't come with a heatsink, the Pi 400 includes an enhanced one to offset its higher 1.8GHz operating point.
"Raspberry Pi 400 contains a heat spreader that dissipates the heat across the whole unit, front and back, so that no part of it will feel too hot to touch. In fact, there is enough thermal margin to overclock it, if you're so inclined,"
All the GPIO's are reachable from outside!
Image 3: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/raspberry-pi-400-the-under-100-desktop-pc-you-didnt-know-you-needed/
Here are the specifications;
- Broadcom BCM2711 quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.8GHz
- 4GB LPDDR4-3200
- Dual-band (2.4GHz and 5.0GHz) IEEE 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless LAN
- Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
- Gigabit Ethernet
- 2 × USB 3.0 and 1 × USB 2.0 ports
- Horizontal 40-pin GPIO header
- 2 × micro HDMI ports (supports up to 4Kp60)
- H.265 (4Kp60 decode); H.264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode); OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
- MicroSD card slot for operating system and data storage
- 78- or 79-key compact keyboard (depending on regional variant)
- 5V DC via USB connector
- Operating temperature: 0°C to +50°C ambient
- Maximum dimensions 286 mm × 122 mm × 23 mm
It's price is announced to be 70$ as a standalone unit. Well, it definitely worths the money, with all of its awesome properties, it's the first Raspberry Pi product with an on/off power button after all! 🙂